My words on free/open source software

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fix nVidia's Proprietary Driver's Poor 2D Performance on Linux

Call me a fool. I bought an XFX GeForce FX 5200 PCI for my workstation (which is actually a Dell SC440 tower server who has no AGP slot). And nVidia's poor proprietary driver is notorious slow of 2D on Linux. The CPU usage of the Xorg process easily goes up to around 70% on my Xeon Core 2 @ 1.86GHz even when scrolling the text in gnome-terminal, not to say reading web pages in Firefox, which slows down everything else. And I've been sticking to a years old pristine GNOME (2.14 shipped with Debian 4.0 Etch) with nothing eye-candy here.

Finally I've found a workaround: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1704073&postcount=1: Update (2008-07-18) worked for me. In courtesy of xsolarwindx.

The improvement: now with this little fix the time used to build an Linux kernel on my workstation is only half as before just because the little baby likes writing its progress onto the terminal and old nVidia hates this so it made the displaying of text even more time-consuming than compiling the multi-million-line kernel itself!

I've been running nVidia's driver 173.14.12 x86_64 on a stock Debian 4.0 Etchnhalf kernel (2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64).

I'll never buy an nVidia unless they released full GPL drivers.

1 comment:

Which is which said...

It looks like NVIDIA.com is using "NVIDIA", not "nVidia"?

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, California, United States